Carmelites work with communities in Australia and Timor-Leste (East Timor) helping people to transform their lives.
Community speaks of trust and relationships with one another, and the Carmelites' commitment to strengthen and support all those who are part of our family within Australia and Timor-Leste.
Prayer speaks to the heart of what is Carmelite: our relationship with God. Through liturgy and prayer Carmelites are committed to supporting and sustaining you on your spiritual journey.
Action speaks to the Carmelite attitude of responding positively to the needs of the people we serve; empowering and accompanying them in their experiences and in their faith.
WHO ARE WE
Carmelites have a tradition spanning eight centuries originating in the 1190's in the Holy Land with the first Carmelites arriving in Australia in 1802.
Since arriving in Australia The Carmelites have been actively involved with Australian communities through parish ministry, schools, spirituality and retreat centres, and library offering pastoral and spiritual companionship to people.
Since 2001 The Carmelites have been supporting the people of Timor-Leste both spiritually and through assisting in the reconstruction of their communities. Through the friendships that have been established we aim to empower the Timorese people to rebuild their own communities and help them recover from the hurt of their painful past.
THE CARMELITES IN TIMOR-LESTE
Timor-Leste is the poorest country in the Asia Pacific region and a very close neighbour to Australia. The Timorese people have lived through traumatic experiences and our help is needed to assist them on the journey from despair to living richer fuller lives.
Our mission in Timor-Leste is to:
- Educate young men to become Carmelites and work within their communities
- Educate students, through offering scholarships and traineeships
- Train young people in skills to gain employment in industries
- Refurbish essential buildings eg; schools, youth centres
- Provide training and equipment to assist in agricultural programs
- Provide safe drinking water
- Offer Sacramental Programs for communities
- Provide pastoral and spiritual companionship for life's journey
You can help with our mission by becoming involved and helping us to give others the opportunity for a better life.
THE CARMELITES IN AUSTRALIA
In Australia Carmelites work in a variety of areas serving communities and offering their prayer and companionship
Our Ministries involve
- Running a Catholic College for boys
- Administering parishes around Australia
- Supporting lay men and women to live a reflective life
- Providing pastoral support to those suffering in our communities
- Working as chaplains in hospitals and schools to support people at their most vulnerable
- Providing a theological resource in The Carmelite Library for academics and those seeking a deeper meaning in life
- Offering courses through The Carmelite Centre which supports people in their life journey
- Spirituality and retreat centre for spiritual healing which offer a place for reflection and pastoral care
- Offering a reflective place at The National Shrine of Our Lady of Mount Carmel where people can share together through companionship and prayer
HOW THE CARMELITES CAN SUPPORT YOU
At times each one of us is challenged by the pain and hurt that our life journey brings. It is at times like this that The Carmelites offer companionship, hope and a place to share faith which can help give great strength during these difficult times.
The Carmelites offer their prayer and companionship through five special Masses celebrated throughout the year at The National Shrine of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. Each of these Masses provide opportunities for people to come together in prayer to give thanks, to pray for healing and to remember loved ones.
Carmelite Mass Celebrations
- Healing – for those who are troubled and sick (May)
- Mothers– for all mothers living and deceased (July)
- Love and Hope – for all who support East Timor (October)
- Remembrance – for deceased relatives and friends (November)
- Christmas – for all your needs and intentions (December)
Each of these masses is open to all either by attendance or by responding with personal intentions.
Carmelite Prayer Cards
When family and friends become ill, lose their job, have a relationship break-down or suddenly find themselves alone, it is comforting to know that they have the support of their family, friends and – people like The Carmelites.
The Carmelites provide beautiful reflective prayer cards which can be sent on these occasions to assure those you care for of The Carmelites' prayers and your love and support for them. Because these cards are exclusive to The Carmelites each person who receives one will receive a beautiful unique gift and card.
We have prayer cards for
- Healing and Peace for those who are sick
- A gift of Prayer for any occasion
- Spiritual support for those going through physical or emotional struggles
- Sympathy and Mass for those recently deceased
- Special Occasion for birthdays, anniversaries and special days
The Carmelites undertake many activities which support and serve the community both in Australia and East Timor. We invite you to become involved and help us to raise awareness and funds to support these services.
Become a member of The Carmelites and receive
- Our newsletter ‘Carmel Contact' FREE
which features articles of reflection and meditation as well as updates on the life and work of The Carmelites in Australia and East Timor .
- Invitations to participate in the Masses at The National Shrine of Our Lady of Mount Carmel
- Mass cards to forward to family and friends
- Invitations to attend special gatherings and major events
Purchase goods which help us raise money for Timor-Leste
- Timorese organic coffee
- Tias [traditional woven cloth]
- Recycle bags
- Occasional cards
- Christmas cards
If you would like to join us, purchase goods or find out more, please contact:
Carmelite Province Centre
75 Wright Street
Middle Park Vic 3206
Telephone: 03 9690 8822